Monday, November 30, 2009

"Too Nice"

I made some arrangements for a friend to do something he/she REALLY wanted to do. I was so happy for this person that I woke up excited. Seriously? So happy for someone that you wake up early? Kinda strange don't you think? Some people tell me I am too nice. I say, not possible! You may challenge me in this, but I stand by my opinion. One can be taken advantage of, or misused, but me acting in a way that is "too nice" is my choice, not me being taken advantage of. Plus, being "too nice" is kinda selfish in a way because sometimes I do nice things just because it makes me feel so dang good. So I admit that sometimes my motives are not purely towards the good of another. However, it is a win-win situation really. You do something nice, you feel happy; you do something nice and others feel happy; you do something nice and others might be inspired to do something nice for someone else; you do something nice and you realize just how much more you are capable of and feel confident that if you act, God will give you more opportunities. Then you will start doing nice things because of charity, Christ's pure love. I am so far from being "too nice" if it even exists, but I am enjoying how it never gets old and helps make up for the other areas in life where I lack.

Try being "too nice" this week. I dare you to. Or even better, try being "too nice" to one person on several occasions and see how much happier your world will be! I testify that your capacity to love will grow, not because of your own doing, but because God will grow your heart.

1 John 4:18-19
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear; because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us."

Elder David A. Bednar in the October 2009 Conference said-
"Each of us already knows we should tell the people we love that we love them. But what we know is not always reflected in what we do. We may feel unsure, awkward, or even perhaps a bit embarrassed.
As disciples of the Savior, we are not merely striving to know more; rather, we need to consistently do more of what we know is right and become better.
We should remember that saying “I love you” is only a beginning. We need to say it, we need to mean it, and most importantly we need consistently to show it. We need to both express and demonstrate love.
President Thomas S. Monson recently counseled: “Often we assume that [the people around us] must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. . . . We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us” (“Finding Joy in the Journey,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2008, 86)."

No comments: