Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship with Valentines Day

I have a love/hate relationship with Valentines Day.

On one end I'm too much of a romantic to hate the made up holiday of Valentines.
I know it is commercial. I know tons of money gets spent on ridiculously priced chocolates, fancy dinners, and roses that will die.

But there is something about the idea of homemade Valentine cards, baking favorite treats, cooking a special meal, and surprising someone with flowers they might not have expected that just screams the kind of girlie/lovey stuff
Tamara Christine Kelm enjoys!

So every year I make some cards, bake some treats, and have this silly bit of hope that says- Maybe you'll get flowers.

But here is the "hate" part of my Valentines Day relationship...I have NEVER been in a relationship on Valentines, therefore the only Valentines I have ever enjoyed are friends and family. Not a bad thing, I'm not complaining about that.

But darn it, I have all these Valentines Day ideas just stacking up, waiting to burst open and shower on the "Love of My Life". I just wish he'd show up!

At least I have my 83 year old patient to make me smile. He asked if I was married, and my response was no, nobody has decided to fall for me yet. He said this- "Anyone who lets you go is dumber than dumb!"

Until the love of my life shows up, or stops being dumb (which ever it is) I listen to songs like "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri, make cute homemade cards for my loving parents, decorate a silly kindergarten style Valentine box for work, and go out to eat with great friends and eat delicious desserts!



Christina Perri- A Thousand Years




"True love is a process. True love requires personal action. Love must be continuing to be real. Love takes time. ...Love demands action if it is to be continuing. Love is a process. Love is not a declaration. Love is not an announcement. Love is not passing fancy. Love is not expediency. Love is not convenience. 'If ye love me, keep my commandments and if ye love me feed my sheep' are God-given proclamations that should remind us we can often best show our love through the processes of feeding and keeping." (Elder Marvin J. Ashton)

1 comment:

tiffromney said...

I like that song...very pretty. I know there is a Mr. Amazing out there looking for you. I am so excited for you to find him and when you do, you are gonna have the most killer valentines day ever!!!