Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

As I type this blog I am listening to my Brasilian music station on Pandora in the background. 

This morning it was delightful to see all the facebook profile pictures of my friends and their dads. 

Then on LDS.org I saw a beautiful video about Father's Day. Click here to go see it.

On this Father's Day my dad is actually in the country, a rare event for a mid-summer holiday. I plan on making him a delicious meal to celebrate tonight. 

A few memories...

When I was little I learned that if I spoke Portuguese it melted his heart. If I was in bed when he came home, but was still awake, you could hear my little voice call out from my room- "Pai, te amo", "dad, I love you"... and he no doubt would come running. He is the best story teller. I am sure he can't count how many times he told me "Goldie Lock and the Three Bears", or the "Three Little Pigs". He also made up stories. You could give him an animal, a color, a location, and a food, and he would make up a story on the spot. One of his best made up stories was "Chicken Heart", about this little boy who listened to a radio show about a giant chicken heart coming to attack the city...oh wait...that was Bill Cosby who made up that story. I remember the day I heard Bill Cosby tell it and thought- what? He stole dad's story! 

To this day I have my dad wrapped around my finger...or is it me who is wrapped around his? I'm not really sure. My dad still gives the best advice and counsel. I'm one lucky daughter. 

Now time for a bunch of pictures of my totally amazing dad, Orlando Kelm! 

How it all began...


Our 2nd trip to Brazil together.

Only public performance on a stage I've ever done. Singing in Portuguese of course!

Borrowing the ice cream man's shirt and posing for a pic in Brasil. "Frute em ice cream"

Favorite family tradition- singing Happy Birthday at the top of our lungs!

Oh yeah, and he does Capoeira too...





But mostly I love how he loves my mom...












Pai, Te Amo por sempre! 

3 comments:

Ben said...

So sweet, thank you for sharing. You are such a sweet daughter to your wonderful parents. It's heartwarming to see things the way they should be.

Ben said...

That was from Jessica W logged into Ben's account apparently!

Sara said...

Oh, man -- that BYU t-shirt is awesome. :)