Saturday, March 6, 2010

Holi Hai- Indian Festival of Color

This is how I looked this evening before I jumped in the shower. Why you ask?


This is a Hindu temple, the Radha Rani Temple in South Austin (Barsana Dhan- http://www.barsanadham.org/about-shree_raseshwari_radha_rani_temple.htm) I arrived here with some friends to participate in Holi, the festival of colors. It has to do with welcoming spring and involves sprinkling, throwing, and smearing bright colored powder on anyone around you. This event was approx. 17 years in the making!


There are free roaming peacocks on the grounds. This tree had several up in it.


Getting the bags of gulal ready for Holi play! Gulal is bright colored powder that you throw and smear on anyone around you.


First attack, let the fun begin!

Love this pic! It's about to get much better!




Hum Hindustani? No, Christian, but I can celebrate with the Hindustanis!




Yep, pretty much surpassed my expectations. I had a blast!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks totally fun! I must admit I am a little jealous.

Az Kelms said...

Looks like you had a great time. I just learned a little bit about that celebration a few weeks ago. How fun that you were able to go and be a part of it!