Friday, March 27, 2009

Pumpernickel Bread and Direct Access

Delightful moments...

"I'm a politically active 40 year old woman mooching off her parents and if I pumpernickel bread isn't cutting it, I can go use my own money and buy my own dang bread!"

That phrase sums up a good chunk of my past two weeks. Pardon the randomness of this as I yammer on and share what that quote means and other delightful moments of the past few weeks.

First of all I became politically active last night at 11:30pm as I was listening to my 18th Korean English test of the day. In my new world of Physical therapy we are facing a legislative bill in Texas to allow patients Direct Access to PT's. Chiropractors and massage therapists don't need a referral to be seen, but PT's do. Seriously? How crazy is that? I emailed off an example letter to friends last night asking them to send it off to their Senators. (If you would like more info you can ask me.) This morning I got my first reply from a former employer who said she would love to support this and will send a letter. Go political me!

English Oral Proficiency Exams...the Korean's have been busy speaking English to Eva- the animated computer interview for OPIc. About 6000 tests have come in this week alone. Last week was spring break, but no break for me. I have rated 160 tests in the last two weeks and it looks as if this speed could continue for a few more days. I rate test, do homework, rate tests and do homework , than rate more tests... My favorite one last week was a lady comparing private schools in Korea to Hogwarts. They have different houses and house competitions. No Quittach however, just soccer. Yesterday I got sung to by a girl describing popular music in Korea. Often they are boring, but I get a few gems here and there.

Speaking of non-native English speakers check out this link for a good laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgL2MKfWTo

I did manage some fun during spring break, but that is how I found out I am 40. If you have heard of the Wii Fit, you know that you step on the box and it measures your weight, height, checks balance, and real age. Then it spits out your Wii Age. 40, it aged me at 40! How wrong is that? I teach yoga for goodness sake!

I was so mad I was screaming at the TV with my friend Karen laughing behind me. I promptly started doing planks and other ab work almost every day since. In Brasil some teenager guessed my dad is 35. So he is 35 and I am 40- what an upside down world we live in! My grandma turned 75 this week, but she thinks the numbers are backwards and she is really 57. She is the busiest 75 year old I know, I think she passed that trait on down to me.

Grandma also gave me my quote of the week last week. In reference to her geneology work she said, "the dead don't sleep, but I keep telling them I do!" It sure made me laugh.

Finally on to the pumpernickel bread...that means dad is back in town. My options for bread in this house are pumpernickel bread or 40 calorie sourdough. Hmmm, neither sounding very appealing for peanut butter and honey in the mornings. Dad and I have had breakfast together most mornings this week and we joked that since I am a mooch and raking in money this week, I can go buy my own dang bread! Dad being home also means we get to watch the opening 10 minutes of the Ellen Degerneres show together. We are excited for Ellen reaching her goal of getting on the cover of Oprah's magazine "O". It reminds us that goals are good. So my latest goal is to be the new class President for the Physical Therapist Assistant Club at school. Elections are next week.

Back to sitting nice and tall in my chair for my poor back, and listening to the Koreans... they leally rike kimchi and go to Jeju island with their rovers.


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'd totally vote for you. Good luck! I like this post, it reminds me of how many random thoughts I've been having lately too. :) (Though of different things. :) )

Unknown said...

How could anyone not be totally excited to eat pumpernickel bread? OK, maybe not the best with peanut butter, but a deli meat, tomato, and lettuce just beg for pumpernickel.

For those who know Tamara and don't know me, I'm the 35 year old father of the 40 year old daughter!!!

Rebecca said...

Hehe, I've heard the wiifit giving so many crazy ages to people. But I agree pumpernickel has its place and that isn't so much with PBH. :)