Thursday, April 2, 2009

Here chicky, chicky, chicky....

What is this?


You may say that it is a chicken thigh, but you want to know what I see? Okay, get ready to call me a nerd! I can take it!...
It is a knee joint! Let me explain the fascination. Yesterday in lab we dissected a chicken thigh. The meat was already gone, eaten to be exact. We put on our sterile gloves, got a scalpel (or scalpule if you are from East Texas), and started slicing away at the knee joint. We had to tell if it was a right leg or a left leg. The key was finding the fibula, tiny little bone! Mine was a left leg. Turns out most were left legs. "How come there are so many left-legged chickens?" Once I cut off a good chunk of adipose (I had a FAT chicken), I could see the the MC and LC Ligaments. Then those were cut to get into the inside of the knee joint and find the meniscus, the ACL, and PCL. Yes, chickens do have an ACL, however I don't' think they have to many tears as they do not play basketball or soccer. This was by far the coolest lab we have done so far.

In my other lab we drew out DERMATOMES on each other. Dermatomes are zones on the body that different nerve roots of the spinal chord innervate. Who knows why it was so fun to draw all over people with washable markers. It is hard to see, but we have lines all over our arms and legs. My partner even did some of the zones on my back- L1-L5. No Josh, there is no L7.

2 comments:

Sokphal said...

That's awesome and funny! Lol! What are you studying?

Anonymous said...

That was a fun day!!! :D