Sunday, September 6, 2015

Change is worth the price you pay




Sometimes you have outgrown a situation you are in. 

Ever feel that way? 

Almost a year ago I decided not to renew my apartment lease, move in with my parents, and save money to buy a house. 

So I did. 

It has been great. 


Now it's decision time. 

 I found myself getting fearful, and what does one do when they get fearful? I don't know about you but I pull up Elder Jeffery R. Holland's BYU Devotional Address 
 "Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence".  

This talk takes me to two scriptures.

D&C 8: 2, 10
Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and 
which shall dwell in your heart.
 10 Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; 
do not ask for that which you ought not.

and

Hebrews 10:32-39 (parts of it)
 32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;
35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.
 36 For ye have need of patience
that, after ye have done the will of God, 
ye might receive the promise.
 38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
 39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; 
but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.


A few weeks ago I found myself in the temple and pondering these scriptures and asking if I really had a moment of revelation to buy a house last year. If the answer was yes, then I should go forward more confidently. In regards to revelation- vs 2 of D&C 8 says “I will tell you in your mind and in your heart” Or as Holland said, in a rational way and a revelatory way. 

I came home ready to act. The decision to move forward was clear. 

I'm in the process and if all goes to plan, it looks like this woman is going to have a home built.  

I was talking to my grandpa today about how big changes are coming into my life and sometimes changes are scary.  
He said the following:

"There is some fear that comes with change. 
The bigger the change, the bigger the fear.
Visualize my fear when I exchanged Berlin for Montreal! On that boat I changed from mother's son to head of the household. I had to grow up fast to find shelter and work in English among a bunch of French men! Change is worth the price you pay. "

I'm embracing it, I'm slamming the door when fear creeps in, and I'm looking forward in faith... Or at least trying to. 

"Change is worth the price you pay"
Wolfgang Kelm


No comments: