Thursday, December 20, 2012

How to love your daughter


Yesterday my brothers took everything out of the attic. Devin and Michael were in search of Pokemon cards. I had my own trip down memory lane. It started with this... 



My Barbie and the Rockers bus! It was a Christmas present in the 80's from my Grandpa and Grandma Hutchison. My dad strapped it on the top of the car when we drove back to California from Utah. I was in love with this. I have saved it, although it is kind of falling apart, for some future day when a child of my own will probably destroy it. If I have no daughters, we can spray paint it black and a boy can play with it.   


Then we opened up another treasure. A container with books. Including this...


Then something magical happened. My dad opened up the book and started to read it to me. I sat down on the garage floor and listened. He even used his cookie monster voice and we learned it is important to share cookies. I was instantly taken back 25 years and was a little girl charmed by her daddy reading a story.

We also found this other favorite. Grover is always a favorite! Even when HE is the monster at the end of the book! 




 

The last delightful treasure was a 15 page composition my mom wrote in 1977 titled "Self-Search". It was a personal history with stories I had never heard before. Like how she got the girl behind her to stop asking for answers on tests...she gave her the wrong ones! I learned about her first crush, but most importantly her 20 year old self perspective on meeting my dad her junior year of high school. I loved the insight into my mom. Her final thoughts included her desire for her future- to be married in the temple, to have children, and to have useful and rewarding life.

December 19, 2012...a treasure filled day!

No comments: