Monday, August 15, 2011

Adventure #3, Nashville, TN



Adventure #3, Nashville, TN


“This is George Strait, welcome to Nashville.”


Wow, George Strait was the first to greet me! Ok, so he greeted me from the overhead paging system in the airport. The second person to greet me was Chanda Vaniman, health coach and (coachchanda.com) yoga instructor extraordinaire!


Nashville was cooler than Austin. Thank goodness, I needed a break from 107 degrees!


Friday night we attended the Nashville Temple. Dang it, I didn’t get a picture. It is a small one, but very pretty! No wonder I have been in a great mood all of July and August, I’ve been to 3 temples, 5 times.


Saturday morning I attended my first hot yoga class. The room was between 100 and 102 with 30% humidity. It actually felt pretty good. Chanda was an awesome instructor. The only thing I couldn’t do was the rabbit pose. Can’t believe how much I sweat!


The fun continued with a nice hike. We hiked around a lake and through the woods. I saw a few deer, including foals! I found it cute, Shaleen made cocking shotgun sounds.


Saturday afternoon we toured the Grand Ole Opry. It has the 2nd best acoustics in the world, do you know what is #1? Last year it was flooded, they have it restored it and it is up and running. I didn’t really know anything about the history. The tour was cool. Part of it was a video with country singer Blake Shelton talking, (I think I am sold on a man with a good southern accent!) We saw the dressing rooms, all themed, the mailboxes for the Opry members. If you want to send an Opry member mail, just put their name, and Grand Ole Opry USA. I learned all about Minnie Pearl and Little Jimmy Dickens. Ever heard of the song "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose"?




The end of the tour you get to stand on the famous circle on stage. So the circle is made from the stage of the old theater (Rinehart?) where the Opry started. The idea is that everyone who every performed there walked on this spot. During the flood the wooden circle was found floating in the theater, recovered, and restored.


Too bad I am not brave enough to really sing. I was singing “At Last” loudly in my head! (and later realized that isn't a country song at all. Oops!)




Saturday night we went to Centennial park in downtown Nashville. They had free dance lessons, followed by a few hours of big band music and dancing. I danced with strangers, men old and young. It was pretty cool actually!


Sunday was good hanging out time and attending church of course. Shaleen works in the nursery. I had fun reading 2 and 3 year olds books and teaching the girls how to skip!


Another former Austin resident, Sarah Compton, stopped in. Chanda made us a delicious pot roast, there was arm wrestling, and a good time by all!



Thank you Nashville! I had a great time.


Lesson learned? Life is rich and full and has a lot to offer! Chanda and Shaleen approach life with grace and happiness.





3 comments:

Will said...

I totally broke my no-blog reading rule (more of a guideline) just long enough to be jealous of your travels. looks like a lot of fun.

Panjwani said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun..

I like the dancing at the Park.. sounds like a movie.. :P

Elizabeth said...

Looks like so much fun! It made me miss Shaleen, Chanda, and you like crazy! Glad you're having such a blast!