Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mothers

Mothers

Aline Mae Vaile Kelm, mother of Orlando, Trisha, Jared, and Warren

Teresa Ann Lees, mother of Brianna, McKayla, Savannah, and Skylar

I have been thinking about mother's this week. I read the following quote in a book by Sheri Dew.

"President J. Reuben Clark Jr. declared motherhood to be as divinely called and as eternally important in its place as the Priesthood itself. More recently, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland put motherhood in historical as well as spiritual perspective: Mothers, "Yours is the grand tradition of Eve, the mother of all the human family...Yours is the grand tradition of Sarah and Rebekah and Rachel, without whom there could not have been those magnificent partriarchal promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob...Yours is the grand tradition of Lois and Eunice and the mothers of the 2,000 stripling warriors. Yours is the grand tradition of Mary, chosen and foreordained from before this world was, to conceive, carry, and bear the Son of God Himself. We thank all of you...and tell you there is nothing more important in this world than participating so directly in the work and glory of God...Yours is the work of salvation, and therefore you will be magnified, compensated, made more than you are and better than you have ever been as you try to make an honest effort, however feeble you may sometimes feel that to be." (Sheri Dew, If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard, 106-107)


I have found joy in thinking about my mom and other mothers this week.

I texted a friend who recently had her very first baby girl and asked how mommyhood was treating her. She said, "it is great, but hard!"

I had a cousin become a father this week and although she was born with Down's Syndrome, both parents are as proud as can be and the news of her diagnosis it seems is not going to overshadow their joy. Just as it should be!

I went to a friend's daughter's birthday party yesterday. Her daughters are not just cute, but sweet and loving to everyone around then. They learned from the best!


I have a wonderful mother myself. We work out together. She offers to pick up stuff at Costco for me while I"m at work and even drops it off at my apartment. She rubs my feet while we watch TV. She invited me over for bacon and eggs this morning. She would do pretty much anything for me I am certain.

Michelle Stenquist- mother of Maddie and Ellie

I have many, many friends and cousins that have the sacred calling to be mothers, and they do a great job. One cousin I want to highl
ight is Michelle Stenquist. She is the proud mother of twin girls who recently celebrated their 1st birthday. She has probably posted 100's of pictures of her girls on her blog over the past year. Michelle announced this week on her blog that she is expecting baby #3 in January and expressed her excitement. It just struck me when I read her blog that there are so many woman in the world choosing not to have children for whatever reason. One might look at the Stenquist family and say- are you insane, you'll have 3 kids under 2 years old? But I look at Michelle and say- now that is a woman I respect. She is choosing a selfless path. Joseph F. Smith said, " the love of a true mother comes nearer to being like the love of God than any other kind of love".

I hope I am working on the characteristics now in my single years that will help be one day an outstanding mom. I've got a lot of great ones to look up to and follow their example. Here are just a few of the many I love!
(Sorry I don't have everyone on here!!!)



the late Vanessa Adorno, mother of Jelly and Beth Ann


Vera Hutchison-mother of Tonia, Alan, Boyd, Teresa, and Brad.
Tonia Kelm- mother of Tamara, Devin, and Michael.


Elizabeth Lisonbee- mother of Clark and Anna

Karen Jacobs- mother of Sarah and Sam; Jana Israel, mother of two

America Forster, mother of Angel and Faith

Trisha, mother of Darian and Alisha

Lisa Creer, mother of Linnea and Conner



Joann Kelm, mother of Jessica, Jocelyn, Jacob, Jayden


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love everything about this post! Especially the part about me ;) You make me sound amazing! Someday you will be an awesome mother, and until then, enjoy your quiet time and sleep :)