Sunday, January 23, 2011

Willing to Mourn With Those That Mourn

My heart has been a bit achey the past week or so. There are three of friends of mine that are struggling. Some with some giant things, other small things, and some will probably never overcome the challenges they face in this life. Big or small, they are all hurting.

In the Book of Mormon, Mosiah chapter 18, verses 8-13 we learn of what is promised to us and what we promise (a covenant) when we are baptized. Among other things, we promise to be "willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light;...to mourn with those that mourn; yeah, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort".

I was thinking about my friends today, I realize that it is not expected of me to "fix" their problems, or to make it all better. That is what the Atonement of Jesus Christ is for. His job is to heal. My job is bring others to Christ if I can, and love and serve. I'm not trying to fix. I just want to do well whatever it is that is actually in my power to do. So why so sad today? Today I think I am just doing what I have covenanted to be willing to do..to mourn, bear burdens, and comfort.

So I press on...

No comments: