Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sorry, I shouldn't say that to a Mormon

In casual conversation with a patient I mentioned that my brother is a missionary in Australia. He has some association with "mormons" in Arizona where he learned to grind his own wheat. He owns a pasta manufacturing company. Anyways...all week he keeps starting to make a comment or tell a story and stops himself saying, "Sorry, I shouldn't say that to a Mormon". Sometimes it is an inappropriate comment, but once it was as simple as not recommending cooking with wine to make the mushrooms taste better. I am actually very pleased at how respectful he is trying to be.

Another patient I started with my first week tried to swear around me, or would say- " you probably think that I'm a **bleep**. My first response was, "I don't use that kind of language". It took 2 more times till he caught himself and he has not sworn around me since.

It is amazing how little effort it takes sometimes to be an example.

No comments: