Friday, October 2, 2009

Sad that I can't donate blood again.

I mailed this letter of the Blood Center of Central Texas today... if you can donate blood, please do. It is important to me, and I no longer am able to do it.

October 2, 2009

The Blood Center of Central Texas

4300 N. Lamar Blvd

Austin, TX 78756


Dear Blood Center of Central Texas & Maureen Foley, RN,


My name is Tamara Kelm and I have been a donor for several years. I have enjoyed it a lot, knowing that I am helping people. I know that blood banks are always in need of blood and quarterly it was great to know I was doing my part.


In July, 2009 this all changed. I received a letter staying that I had tested positive for the HTLV Type I or II virus. I was very scared. Who wouldn’t be when told you had a virus that is linked to T-cell Leukemia? I researched it a bit and it made no sense that I had the virus. I have never been sexually active, I haven’t travelled to any of the places where is usually contracted, and I am not a drug user. I went to my doctor and he was as baffled as I was. We decided to have more blood work done. Thank goodness the test results have come back negative.


I have been meaning to call and see if I can become an active donor again with a copy of my lab results. Today I got in the mail my bill for the lab work- $205.95. I didn’t expect The Blood Center to pay for this mistake but I called to bring it to someone’s attention.


Maureen let me know that I would remain on the deferred list and be unable to donate ever again. I was shocked and angry. Not only did this false positive cost me an unnecessary $200, it has cost me the chance to ever donate again. It is a shame that there is no a way around this.


I apologize for being rude and hanging up on Maureen. I was angry, but not at her, I know she was just doing her job. However, my voice needs to be heard by the organization. The money issue frustrates me being a poor college student, but the loss of being able to give the gift of a donation deeply saddens me. There are people who won’t even consider being a donor because they are afraid of needles or just don’t care. I am not one of them.


If regulations ever change, I want to be notified. I do not want a faulty test to get in way of a future opportunity. I’m only 29, I’ve got a lot of years left to live and donate, and think of the lives my blood will not be able to save now.


Thank you for your time,

Tamara Kelm

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh man! I am so sorry that happened. Writing such a good letter was definitely the route to go. I don't know if they'll change their policies any time soon, but we can all hope.

Az Kelms said...

That was a great letter. What a bummer that you have had to go through all that. I wonder why they won't let you donate blood anymore knowing that you don't have the disease. It would be easier for you to understand if they told you the reasonings behind what they are doing. You are wonderful.

Jessi said...

That was a good letter! I try to give blood and can't ever fill the bag, so they send me away and throw my blood away!