Sunday, January 17, 2016

January Thoughts Teachings of the Presidents of the Church Howard W. Hunter



I have the privilege of teaching out of the Howard W. Hunter Teachings of the Presidents of the Church manual once a month to my ward's Relief Society (a ward is a geographically based congregation in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and the Relief Society is the woman's organization).  I thought this year to help me remember the lesson learned each month I would post a few quotes and highlights. I invite others reading this to comment on what they learned from the lesson or what insights they experienced. 

Chapter 1 is titled "Jesus Christ- Our Only Way to Hope and Joy" (click here) 

My three favorite quotes are as follows..

We must know Christ better than we know him; we must remember him more often than we remember him; we must serve him more valiantly than we serve him. Then we will drink water springing up unto eternal life and will eat the bread of life. 
...

We will all have some adversity in our lives. I think we can be reasonably sure of that. Some of it will have the potential to be violent and damaging and destructive. Some of it may even strain our faith in a loving God who has the power to administer relief in our behalf.
To those anxieties I think the Father of us all would say, “Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?” And of course that has to be faith for the whole journey, the entire experience, the fulness of our life, not simply around the bits and pieces and tempestuous moments. …
Jesus said, “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
...
Please remember this one thing. If our lives and our faith are centered upon Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can ever go permanently wrong. On the other hand, if our lives are not centered on the Savior and his teachings, no other success can ever be permanently right. …

What I love about this chapter is it helps me center my focus at the beginning of a fresh new year on Jesus Christ.  Perhaps my faith is unique in that we don't just emphasize following His teachings, but on becoming like Him. He really is the way to hope and joy. 

Chapter 2 "My Peace I Give Unto You" (click here)
John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid". 
...
It seems that two eternal truths must be accepted by all if we are to find peace in this world and eternal life in the world to come. (1) That Jesus is the Christ, the very eternal son of our Heavenly Father, who came to earth for the express purpose of redeeming mankind from sin and the grave, and that he lives to bring us back to the presence of the Father. (2) That Joseph Smith was his prophet, raised up in this latter-day to restore the truth which had been lost to mankind because of transgression. If all men would accept and live these two fundamental truths, peace would be brought to the world. 
...
A life filled with unselfish service will also be filled with peace that surpasses understanding. … This peace can come only through living the principles of the gospel. These principles constitute the program of the Prince of Peace.

I feel that for me when I feel anxious and overwhelmed, service really does help me feel a "peace that surpasses understanding". 

What are your thoughts? 

No comments: