Thursday, November 7, 2013

Wrong Roads

http://www.youtube.com/v/yNQC-_srxH8?version=3&autohide=1&autohide=1&feature=share&autoplay=1&attribution_tag=7HNVskq2p5vwUZpmMbTIpA&showinfo=1


Why do I like this video? Well first of all Elder Jeffrey R Holland is a special witness of Christ, and when I hear his words I know he has a personal relationship with the Savior. Second, it is a great analogy. Third, it teaches me more about God's love for us.

Sometimes when things "go wrong", or we think they are going wrong, we blame the Adversary/Satan/the devil. We tend to give him a lot more credit then I think he deserves. For example, one could say- "Oh it was the adversary that tempted them to go down the wrong path."   No, Elder Holland clearly says the prayer was indeed answered, just not in the way he and his son expected.


Another example I often hear is when someone is sick they say Satan is trying to get them down because he doesn't have a body of his own. Well I just don't believe it works that way. There are plenty other reason that come from God first for why I might be sick. Perhaps the Lord wants me to slow down. Perhaps I need to learn to take better care of myself, or perhaps it is just part of mortality and having an imperfect body.

Sometimes we go down "dead ends" so we can quickly know that the other path is indeed the correct path...because sometimes we will be on the correct path for a long time before reaching our destination. He wants to get us on the right road as quickly as possible.

Elder Holland said, 

"I have absolute certain knowledge, perfect knowledge, that God loves us. He is good, he is our Father, and He expects us to pray and to trust, and be believing, and not give up,panic, or "jump ship" when something doesn't seem to be going right. We stay in, we keep working, we keep believing, keep trusting, following that same path and we will live to fall in His arms and feel His embrace and hear Him say, 'I told you that it'd be okay, I told you it would be alright.' "

Thank you Mormon Messages, this was a perfect message to start my day with!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I think it's so hard sometimes to remain hopeful and confident that things will work out for our good. It's something I struggle with on a regular basis.

Something I find that helps, though, is reading scripture, particularly The Old Testament. God proves time and time again that he not only succors his people -- he fights for them, too.

This is a good post; I liked it a lot. :)