Sunday, November 20, 2011

I Love My Job!

Everyone wants those moments in their career that reminds you- yes, this is why I do what I do! I had one such moment last week. I was in this very pool...

(Reavis Rehab pool in Round Rock, Texas)

I had a patient with back pain. She had been in pain for 2 years, and had back surgery a year ago. Her doctor decided to send her to us for aquatic therapy, meaning physical therapy in the pool. Guess what? She can't swim and is scared of the water. Well, we took it slow. First we started walking in the 3 1/2 foot section while holding on tightly to a noodle and walking very slow. Then we moved on to the 4 foot section (which is more buoyancy assisted unloading of body weight), but we were still using the noodle. Last Monday she came in for her 4th visit and announced- "I've been pain free for 6 days! I haven't been pain free for 2 years!" Last Friday I decided to test her confidence and suggest taking away the noodle while walking. S
he arrived (still pain-free) and we got in and started walking. Five minutes into the session she said- did you notice I am not using a noodle? I said, yes and I was wondering if you had noticed, I wasn't going to say a thing!

This sweet, southern, Christian lady chats the who
le time in the pool about how great she feels, how much she loves the water, and how God put me as her therapist. I look forward to my hour with her. She is picking up old hobbies she left behind, can't wait to come get in the pool each session, and says she will be 16 years old by the time I am done with her!

Those are moments that help me say, I love my job!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Aw, sweet story. Thank you for sharing! :) Maybe I should hire you.

Kathryn said...

Awesome! I love those moments!!!