Sunday, November 14, 2010

Let the peace of God rule in your hearts...

I thought I would follow up on my last post, "Surviving Disappointment". Item #13 refers to learn to express love regardless of how I felt. Well, at the time I wrote it I knew it needed to be on the list, but I didn't know how to do it.

Last Sunday after being miserable for two weeks, I decided that enough was enough. I needed to figure out how to move forward. The answer is and always will be LOVE. I was re-reading some notes I wrote down earlier in the year and came across this scripture:


Colossians 3
12 Put on therefore, as the aelect of God, holy and beloved, bbowels of cmercies, dkindness, ehumbleness of mind, fmeekness, longsuffering;
13 aForbearing one another, and bforgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
14 And above all these things put on acharity, which is the bond of perfectness.
15 And let the apeace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye bthankful.


I figured out what I needed to do personally, and once the decision was made and prayed over, I woke up to a much happier and peaceful countenance on Monday (still bruised, still wishing and longing for more, but MUCH happier). I had a great week, which included

*being flashed by a patient,
*rescuing a lost 2 year old,
*treating two patients at work who have requested me specifically and that the front desk describes as my "boyfriends",
*learning about the mafia,
*teaching a patient to say "homomenous hemianopsia"
*putting a 60 year old woman on the skateboard and seeing her face light up and become as giddy as a teenage girl,
*dinner with Flor and laughing our heads off
*touring the new beautiful building my work is moving to and being so excited for it!
*receiving a kind letter in the mail
*celebrating a friend's upcoming wedding with a classy Bridal Shower
*apartment hunting with my mom
*being completely exhausted everyday after being in the pool with a bizzilion patients

All of the enjoyment from this might have been missed had I not decided to focus on charity and kindness, and allowing "the peace of God rule in [my] heart". I put into action the knowledge I gained from Colossians this weekend I am so glad that I did.

1 comment:

Rebecca J said...

I love that "getting flashed" made it to the top of your list! Can't wait to see you on Wednesday!