Monday, September 21, 2009

TAKE ACTION!!!!!

(look fear in the face and say Grrrr!)

Take Action!

...not to be confused with the crass "Getting Action". TAKE ACTION was inspired earlier this summer when a friend and I wanted dessert by the pool at a friends graduation party, and didn't want to walk in the house. So we asked a handsome man in the ward to bring us each a piece of cake. It worked, and from there the theme TAKE ACTION came to life. It isn't just about dating. Oh no, TAKE ACTION is much more. TAKE ACTION is about not waiting for life to happen. It is about making choices that move you forward. It is about using faith as a principle of action. I have had this conversation with many friend over the past few months. We decided to get matching shirts for the YSA Conference in Ft. Worth, Texas this weekend. Six of us proudly wore them on Saturday.

This weekend was about TAKING ACTION. I learned some very important lessons at the Conference.

Lesson #1... God Loves Me- Me, Tamara...He loves me individually.

I admit I was a bit insecure and miserable for much of Saturday. The workshops were well planned and the speakers did a good job, but each one I went to didn't seem to be the topic I was hoping for based on the title. I was actually wondering how I was going to have a good attitude for the rest of the day and not collapse in a pile of tears. Ironically one workshop was called "And these things shall give thee experience", it was about how trials give us experience and opportunity to grow. After my rough couple of hours, the Lord showed me how much He loves me and really does want me to be happy. I ran into an old acquintance who I distracted me from the pity party I was throwing myself for being single in sea of 1500 other singles. TAKE ACTION! If you want to have a better attitude you have to take action and make choices that will allow Heavenly Father to open doors. I could have chosen to just forget about talking to this acquintance and complained the whole day, but my shirt inspired me on!

Lesson #2
Take a second chance!

If you have a poor impression of someone but don't really know them, give them another chance. You just might be surprised, and your first impression might have been totally wrong. You never know, someone might be placed in your path just long enough for you to learn something from them or about yourself. TAKE ACTION!

Lesson #3 I am not as patient as I thought I was!

I got lost several times the first night in Dallas. I stayed in a house with 20 other women. I didn't get very much ME time. I got uptight a couple times and realized- "Tamara, you need to chill out and work on your patience! " I was surrounded with wonderful, amazing women and realized quickly that patience is definately a virtue that I can work on! TAKE ACTION!

Lesson #4 There is wisdom in Harry Potter, and even Dumbledore knows to TAKE ACTION!

President Uchtdorf of the 1st Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints spoke at the Sunday Fireside. He gave lots of advice and counsel, but the cutest was when he quoted Dumbledore from Harry Potter. He prefaced it with real gospel application, than read from Book 2, page 333. "It is our choices, Harry, that show we truly are, far more than our abilities". TAKING ACTION, or making choices, reflects us more than what we might think we are capable of.

Lesson #5
Fact or fiction? Boys, Men, Guys...
whatever you want to call them, can be charming and cute....FACT!

I got to dance with several really fun guys. Some dipped me, some spun me, but all were lots of fun. The Mt. Bonnell Ward has some really great men. I didn't do any of the asking this time at the dance, I left it to the guys to TAKE ACTION. Two good dances in a row,that has got to be a record. Handsome man in the blue shirt in Austin, and several handsome men in Ft. Worth.

The moral of the story, TAKE ACTION! You just might be happy with your results. Tell me about your TAKE ACTION experiences.

ACTION TAKEN!

3 comments:

Liz said...

AWESOME blog!! I love your perspective. And way to take a minute to evaluate and get back to having the experience that you wanted to have.

Rebecca J said...

I can attest to Lessonn #2. :) Glad the conference was so fun!!

Az Kelms said...

It sounds like it was a great conference. I am glad that you were able to go. Your perspective is rubbing off on me now...ready to TAKE ACTION!