Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 in Review

The Hymn "Ring Out, Wild Bells" has a line that I have seen frequently reflected in social media recently...

"The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die."

So many are ready for 2016 to die. 

The third verse redeems the sad tone of the first...

3. Ring in the valiant men and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand.
Ring out the darkness of the land;
Ring in the Christ that is to be.
Ring out the darkness of the land;
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

As I have been reflecting the close of another year, I am grateful to find richness, beauty, love, hope, and faith. I had a conversation with a friend last week about the reality of an Adversary in our lives and how we can guard ourselves against him. It might not connect in anyone else's mind, but I've been thinking about how optimism is a weapon we can use against the darkness that can so easily envelope us in life. 

I read an article in the January Ensign on the life of President Gordon B. Hinckley. It said the following, 


“I am an optimist!” President Hinckley often declared. “My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.” His optimism went much deeper than having a positive outlook, although he cultivated that. The ultimate source of his optimism—the source that made it a power—was his faith in God and his testimony of God’s plan for the happiness and salvation of His children.
“If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us.”


President Hinckley’s optimism sustained him through trials, feelings of inadequacy, and overwhelming pressures. And he stood by his conviction that “things will work out” even when he experienced setbacks and disappointments, heartache and loneliness.
In his optimism, President Hinckley did not minimize problems. He explained: “I have seen a good deal of this earth. … I have been in areas where war rages and hate smolders in the hearts of people. I have seen the appalling poverty that hovers over many lands. … I have watched with alarm the crumbling morals of our society.
“And yet I am an optimist. I have a simple and solemn faith that right will triumph and that truth will prevail.”

“We have every reason to be optimistic. … Look at Nauvoo. Look at what they built here in seven years and then left. But what did they do? Did they lie down and die? No! They went to work! They moved halfway across this continent and turned the soil of a desert and made it blossom as the rose. On that foundation this church has grown into a great worldwide organization affecting for good the lives of people in more than 140 nations. 
You can’t, you don’t, build out of pessimism or cynicism. 
You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen.”

You can’t, you don’t, build out of pessimism or cynicism. 

So it is on that note that I reviewed 2016... a year that was spent "building". 

 got to be aunt Tamara on Labor Day weekend

and loved every minute of it 


watched my house be built step by step 

added inspiring quotes pre-sheet rock

had a really fun photo shoot in my framed house

and awesome after-construction photo shoot 

went to a conference off the River Walk in San Antonio

and had a great time with friends in between speakers at said conference 

Tia Tamara got another nephew



saw the most decorated bathroom ever in a private residence 

Played with my cousins kids in Salt Lake City 

Went to the Provo City Center Temple Open House 

saw even more cute kids, cousin Brianna's kids after the temple open house

became a homeowner April 13th! 

saw the worlds ugliest cat 

Spent the 4th of July hiking... 

and hanging with fun people including Melissa Smith who later moved away from me 

but before she did we ate at the Peached Tortilla and had popcorn ice cream! 

put final touches on my massage room 

baby sat the enchanting Aria, known to her as Miss Camera 

Tia Tamara had another slumber party with the adorable Faith

grew some green beans...that turned out to be a Sun Flower 

went to a sealing in August and saw lots more cousins! 



celebrated this gorgeous girls birthday as Tamara Khala, fair princess and face-painter. 

became Primary President and made these spectacular cupcakes for my 25 adorable kiddos 

celebrated my birthday at Painting with a Twist with my parents, Michelle, and Bridgid

had surgery 

and recovered quite well 


first Halloween as a homeowner 



celebrated Halloween as a ninja turtle with Bat Girl and Supergirl 

had a lovely flower garden clear through Fall! 

met up with my former Reavis coworkers at a yummy place called Snooze


made fried ice cream with Michelle for my Gilmore Girls party. AMAZING! 


first Christmas tree in my home



Merry Christmas Ya'll

quite pleased! 

TEXAS women's volleyball game. POINT TEXAS! 

visited my friend Larissa and her kids.

went to temple square 

annual candy houses! 

SNOW on Christmas day

and best photo shoot ever with my Grandma Aline Kelm



In 2016 I realized my dream of being a homemaker. I've made my house a home and can't wait to see what other company fills it in 2017. 





No comments: