Monday, September 22, 2008

Ramadan Iftar


Allah hu akbar!

Last night I attended my first Ramadan Iftar. Ramadan is the month when Muslim's fast from dawn to dusk. An Iftar is the meal to break the fast at sunset. We listened to a presentation on the basics of the Muslim religion. Then the call to prayer was made and water and dates were passed out to break the fast. (Okay mom, I admit, dates are pretty good) We then watched them pray. I had never witnessed a Muslim pray and I was truely touched. It was very moving. We then had a very yummy dinner. Samosas and naan anyone?

I got to wear my pakistani outfit that normally just hangs in my closet. I love getting dressed up.

The prayers that are prayed 5 times a day are called Salah. Salah comes from a verb that means "to connect". I like that view of prayer, it really should be my connection with God.

When the speaker gave his presentation, it was easy to notice that every time he mentioned a prophet like Muhammad or Abraham, or Jesus, he respectfully followed it with something like "Peace be upon him" or "May Allah bless him".

I also have my own copy of the Qur'an. (Nadia and Natasha- I respectfully put it on my shelf, not on the floor like many of my books.)

Kudafis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tamara your interest for languages and cultures is just so darn cool!!! You are awesome! PS: Thanks for remember to put the Quran on the book shelf. :)